Core Journals in Communications
This list includes titles that UNC's Libraries may not own; however, InterLibrary Loan can simplify accessing materials from those titles.
American Communication Journal
Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies
Communication Research Reports
Critical Studies in Mass [Media] Communication
Howard Journal of Communication
Human Communication Research
Journal of Applied Communication Research
Journal of Communication
Journal of Communication Studies
Journal of Intercultural Communication Research
Journal of Social and Personal Relationships
Journalism and Communication Monographs
Journalism and Mass Communication Educator
Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly
Quarterly Journal of Speech
Southern Communication Journal
SEE ALSO THE LINKED JOURNALS, BELOW
Use these resources as first stops for finding information.Access all databases from the Libraries' Articles & More page at http://library.unco.edu/articlefinder.htm
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost) - large multi-disciplinary academic databases providing access to magazines and peer-reviewed journal articles. PDF backfiles are available for some journal titles.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete (EBSCOhost) - indexes journal articles in the fields of communication and mass media studies.
- JSTOR JSTOR provides full-text access to more than a thousand journals relevant in nearly 50 disciplines. Browse by discipline or do a broad search - chances are that you'll find useful material.
- ProQuest Research Library (ProQuest) Large multi-disciplinary academic databases providing access to magazines and peer-reviewed journal articles. PDF backfiles are available for some journal titles.
- ABI/INFORM (ProQuest) - provides access to articles from nearly 3,000 worldwide business periodicals and more than 60,000 company profiles.
- Business Source Premier (EbscoHost) - in addition to traditional articles from more than 2300 periodicals, find industry profiles, market research reports, and country overviews. Many company profiles include SWOT analysis.
- Education Full Text (Wilson Web) - provides coverage of international range of education periodicals.
- Family & Society Studies Worldwide (EbscoHost) - provides coverage of research, policy, and practice in the fields of family science, human ecology, human development, and social welfare.
- ProQuest Business Databases (ProQuest) - includes several business-related databases such as ABI/INFORM Global, Accounting & Tax Newspapers, Accounting & Tax Periodicals, Banking Information Source, Business Dateline, Career & Technical Education, ProQuest Asian Business & Reference, and ProQuest European Business.
- ProQuest Education Journals (ProQuest) - full text articles from leading journals in education and related fields.
- PsycINFO (CSA) - covers both journal and book literature in psychology from 1872-present.
Important speeches can often be found in "Vital Speeches of the Day," a publication that is available through a number of online subscription sources.
Tutorials on finding articles
Summon provides one search box to find articles from numerous library databases. Summon also searches for books, DVDs, and government documents.
Searching Summon to find articles
If you are looking for something very specific you should search in a specific database. The UNC Libraries have over over 100 databases that can be accessed through the Databases A-Z link on the Libraries' website.
*Note from the video that there are general and subject-specific databases. Start your research in a general database such as Proquest Research Library or Academic Search Premier. For more in-depth information, select a database specific to your class or research topic.
Database Searching: Basic
UNC databases do not look the same and they each have special features. The common way to search each database is by keyword. Below are a few tip to keyword searching in a general database, Academic Search Premier.
Keyword Searching Tips
- Use your main terms rather than asking questions or full sentences.
- Use quotation marks around a phrase or set of terms ("death penalty" rather than death penalty).
- If you have too many results, use limiters such as date of publication.
- If you have too few results, try changing your keywords to synonyms, or removing any limiters.
- Avoid checking the Full Text limiter. An article may be in full text in another database, and you will be linked to the full text.
Database Searching: Advanced
Each database has different limiters, but the common ones are Date of Publication and Type of Publication. Limiters allow you to focus your search and exclude unwanted information. Limiters are very useful if you have an overwhelming number of results. See the video below for instructions on using limiters.
Using the Advanced Search in Academic Search Premier
How do I search for a specific journal?
If you need to find an individual journal or journal article, you can search by journal title. This is helpful if you have a citation and are tracking down a source.
How to search for a specific journal
How do I use the Web to find articles?
You can use Google Scholar to find articles on the Web. Watch the video to learn about Google Scholar preferences.
How to customize Google Scholar
Rm 109 Michener Library
noon-3:00 PM Tuesdays
9:00-12:00 PM Wednesdays
at Michener Library Reference Desk
Also available by appointment.