Library resources for Linguistics
Last Updated: May 10, 2013
The Tower of Babel by Pieter Brueghel the Elder (1563)
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
1973-present. Covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics, as well as various fields of linguistics.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
Journal articles in the fields of communication and mass media studies.
- Web of Science
Web of Science includes Arts & Humanities Citation Index (2004-present), Science Citation Index Expanded (2004-present), and Social Sciences Citation Index (1979-present).
When searching for books about a specific writer, start by searching one or more of the following library catalogs using the author's name as a subject heading e.g. Melville, Herman.
When searching for books by an author, conduct an author search in the catalog. This same search is useful when looking for editors, translators, and film directors.
For Books From the UNC Libraries:
- The Source catalog lists books and other materials in Michener Library and the Skinner Music Library.
For Books From Other Libraries:
- Prospector is a catalog of many academic, public, and special libraries in Colorado and Wyoming. With a single search you can identify and borrow materials from the collections and have them delivered to your local library. (more about Prospector).
- WorldCat.org lets you search the collections of libraries around the world.
For Online Books:
- NetLibraryA collection of over 7,000 online reference, scholarly, and professional books. To take advantage of some features, users must set up an account (at no charge) under the "Create an Account" link.
- Google Book Search Search for books to find basic publication data and information about borrowing through a library or purchasing. In addition, you can see sample pages from certain books, and the full text of books that are out of copyright or for which Google has permission from the publisher.
- Windows Live Book Search A collection of scanned, freely available out-of-copyright books.
P1-1091: Philology, Linguistics
- P101-410: Language. Linguistic theory. Comparative grammar
- P118-118.7: Language acquisition
- P121-149: Science of language (Linguistics)
- P201-299: Comparative grammar
- P375-381: Linguistic geography